|Stephen Lewis (2001-2006)|
|Peter Piot (2007-2009)|
|Michel Sidibé (2009-2011)|
|World Health Organization|
UNAIDS is the Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS that works towards achieving universal access to HIV prevention, treatment, care and support. UNAIDS established in 1994 by a resolution of the UN Economic and Social Council and launched in January 1996.
Stephen Lewis - Former head of UNAIDS
Stephen Henry Lewis, CC, born November 11, 1937, is a Canadian politician, broadcaster, diplomat and former head of UNAIDS. He is Jewish (why this is important), and a very outspoken feminist. Lewis is a vehement promoter of male circumcision, particularly infant male circumcision (as HIV prevention policy). Lewis calls circumcision "inspired preventive technology." Lewis is very close friends with Bill Clinton. Stephen was the leader of the democratic socialist Ontario New Democratic Party for most of the 1970s. In the mid-1980s, he was appointed as Canada's United Nations ambassador. He quit in 1988 and worked at various United Nations agencies during the 1990s. In the 2000s, he served a term as the United Nations' special envoy for HIV/AIDS in Africa, and head of UNAIDS.
- Stephen H. Lewis -- Former head of UNAIDS.
- ↑ "UNAIDS". http://www.unaids.org/en/aboutunaids/. Retrieved 2011-03-29.
- ↑ "UNAIDS: The First 10 Years". UNAIDS. 2008-11-03. http://www.unaids.org/en/resources/presscentre/featurestories/2008/november/20081103tfty/. Retrieved 2011-08-30.
- ↑ Smith, p.258 (more here)
- ↑ MacDonald, pp. 151-152 (more here)
- ↑ Smith, Cameron (1989). Unfinished Journey: The Lewis Family (1 ed.). Summerhill Press.. pp. 330. ISBN 0-929091-04-3.
- ↑ "Stephen Lewis Co-Dir, Aids free world". YouTube. commonwealthmedia. 2010-02-02. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFkVLJ9Ukts. Retrieved 2011-04-01.
- ↑ "Male Circumcision, part 1". YouTube. AIDSFreeWorld. 2010-01-06. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9kIqB_6KRg. Retrieved 2011-04-01.
- ↑ "Stephen Lewis on Gender Equality". YouTube. garymcnutt. 2006-09-24. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6bUognn0pA. Retrieved 2011-04-01.
- ↑ "A Special Discussion with President Clinton on World AIDS Day.". YouTube. clintonfoundationorg. 2009-10-04. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUaGIc4GYLQ. Retrieved 2011-04-01.
- ↑ Toye, Suelan (2010-09-14). "Stephen Lewis, humanitarian, diplomat and activist, appointed a Distinguished Visiting Professor at Ryerson University". Ryerson University. http://www.ryerson.ca/news/media/General_Public/20100914_MR_Stephen%20.html. Retrieved 2011-03-30.