Edgar J. Schoen
| Gilgal Society|
|Colleagues & Benefactors:|
| Daniel T. Halperin|
Brian J. Morris
Jake H. Waskett
Thomas E. Wiswell
Egdar Schoen (1925-2016) was an American Physician and worked as a Clinical Professor in Pediatrics at the University of California, San Francisco. In 1987, Schoen was appointed head of the Task Force on Circumcision by the American Association of Pediatrics, where he pushed for routine infant circumcision, but the neonatologists on Schoen's committee wouldn't go for it. According to Schoen, not performing circumcision would be "taking us back to nineteenth-century medicine on the eve of the 21st century," and that circumcision will prevent "dermatological problems". Schoen associates with the Gilgal Society.
Schoen was the chair of the 1989 AAP taskforce on circumcision, which studied available data to consider recommendeding circumcision to parents. The taskforce concluded that "Newborn circumcision has potential medical benefits and advantages as well as disadvantages and risks". This was despite their own admission that evidence linking circumcision to prevention of any diseases was inconclusive, with the sole exception of penile cancer (which they noted was mainly caused by unhealthy lifestyles). Given Schoen's history of circumcision advocacy and his position as taskforce chair, he may have influenced the committee significantly. In 1999, the AAP revised their circumcision policy statement. Their newer statement was more conservative about circumcision's potential benefits, saying that they did not outweigh the procedure's own risks, and recommended leaving the decision to parents based on their cultural traditions, in addition to the medical factors.
Schoen died in his sleep, on August 23 of 2016, surrounded by his family.
Schoen appeared in Penn & Teller's show, "Bullshit" for their circumcision episode. Penn reported that Schoen said circumcised penises smell and look better. Schoen later recited some poetry reflective of his belief that the circumcised penis is a thing of beauty:
|NOTE: The "hat" presumably referring to the visible glans.|
Schoen has been noted sending emails to and from the Circlist email list. Circlist is a website and discussion group for men who sexually fantasize about performing and receiving circumcisions, often on small children.
Schoen is also listed as approving content for a Gilgal Society brochure. Groups such as the Gilgal Society openly admit to a morbid fascination with circumcision to the point of sado-masochistic fetish. These groups advertise that doctors are among their members. There are those on the Internet who discuss the erotic stimulation they experience by watching other males being circumcised, swap fiction and about it, and trade in videotapes of actual circumcisions.
Schoen's office was in the Julia Morgan building on Broadway that houses Kaiser Permanente's genetics department in San Fransico. Only a few yards from the home office of Daniel Halperin, assistant professor of anthropology at UCSF's Center for AIDS Prevention Studies (CAPDS).
- ↑ "UCSF On-line Campus Directory: People Search". http://directory.ucsf.edu/people_detail.jsp?FNO=Edgar.Schoen@ucsf.edu&retLink=1&school_code=all&last_name=schoen&first_name=&offset=0. Retrieved 2011-05-27.
- ↑ American Journal of Diseases in Children, Vol 141: 128. February 1987
- ↑ Slack, Gordy (2000-05-19). [/images/3/32/Edgar_Schoen_%26_Daniel_Halperin_%281999-2000%29.pdf "The Case For Circumcision"]. Express Online. /images/3/32/Edgar_Schoen_%26_Daniel_Halperin_%281999-2000%29.pdf.
- ↑ http://www.circinfo.net/pdfs/GFW-EN%200712-1.pdf
- ↑ "AAP 1989". http://www.cirp.org/library/statements/aap/#a1989.
- ↑ "AAP 1999". http://www.cirp.org/library/statements/aap1999/.
- ↑ "Obituary". http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/sfgate/obituary.aspx?n=edgar-j-schoen&pid=181188231&.
- ↑ = "Penn & Teller on Circumcision". kunavu. YouTube. 2011-05-25. http://youtu.be/vLGcqPE7xu0?t=7m50s. Retrieved 2011-09-25.
- ↑ Schoen, E. (2006, April 22). My recent circ pubs [Online Forum Comment]. Retrieved from http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/MCIRC/message/16 Archive: /images/1/1f/MCIRC_-_Msg_16.pdf
- ↑ Ben Winkie. (2005, June) International Circumsexual Symposium, Washington, D.C.
- ↑ Thomas, A. (2005). "Case histories and experiences of circumcision". In Vernon Quaintance. Circumcision: An Ethomedical Study. Fourth Edition. London, England: The Gilgal Society. pp. 191. EMS-EN 0304-2. http://www.intactwiki.org/images/d/d6/Gilgal_porn.pdf.
- ↑ Morris, Brian (2007). Vernon Quaintance. ed. Sex and circumcision: What every woman needs to know.. London, England: Gilgal Society. http://www.circinfo.net/pdfs/GFW-EN%200712-1.pdf.
- ↑ Christopher P Price. Male Non-therapeutic circumcision: The Legal and Ethical Issues. In Male and Female Circumcision, Medical, Legal, and Ethical Considerations in Pediatric Practice (Denniston GC, Hodges FM and Milos MF eds.) New York: Kluwer Academic/Plenum Publishers, 1999: 425-454. http://www.cirp.org/library/legal/price2/
- ↑ Slack, Gordy (2000-05-19). "The Case For Circumcision". Express Online. http://intactwiki.org/images/3/32/Edgar_Schoen_%26_Daniel_Halperin_%281999-2000%29.pdf.