Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
|Endorsed and supported by:|
| Bertran Auvert|
Bill Gates, Bertran Auvert,
Dirk Taljaard, Cynthia Nhlapo.
The Bill and Melinda Gates foundation actively promote male circumcision as "HIV prevention", traveling to Africa to promote it. Bill Gates was convinced to promote circumcision by Bertran Auvert.
Media Funding & Objectivity
According to a report in the Seattle Times, the Gates Foundation has become a force in journalism, and contributes millions of dollars to nonprofit and for-profit media to help cover issues of interest to the foundation. Not just MSNBC, but also ABC, NPR, PBS, and Public Radio, as well as others. Many worry that its growing support of media organizations blur the line between journalism and advocacy.
According to this report, "some grants have indeed spelled out coverage topics, including male circumcision to reduce transmission of AIDS, and clinical trials — the latter of which are crucial for Gates-supported vaccines and drugs being tested in the developing world."
This seems to apply particularly to some of the Foundation flag programs, such as the Voluntary Male Circumcision initiatives for Africa, where according to a journalist, "as a government policy, it appears circumcision is reluctantly promoted by some MPs because other health-related and donor-funded initiatives are tied to this programme."
The case of the disappearing articles
The same article (or an article with the same title) is still available in Reuters
However, again the information is still available in other places:
These articles and the core study are specially intriguing because traditionally it was thought that the Langerhans cells of the Prepuce (foreskin) constituted an entry point for HIV , and this concept is one of the reasons behind the hypothesis that circumcision may reduce the risk of a male becoming infected with HIV from a female partner. This Dutch study contradicts this idea, by stating that the Langerhans cells block HIV.
Holy Water Healing.
Crying Baby Symphony. 
- ↑ "Search Results: Circumcision". Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. http://www.gatesfoundation.org/Pages/Search.aspx?term=circumcision. Retrieved 2011-03-24.
- ↑ "Search Results: Circumcision Africa". Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. http://www.gatesfoundation.org/Pages/Search.aspx?term=Circumcision%20Africa. Retrieved 2011-03-24.
- ↑ Lyons, Daniel (2010-01-25). "Saving The World 2.0". Newsweek. http://www.newsweek.com/2010/01/24/saving-the-world-2-0.html. Retrieved 2011-03-24. "How do you address global hunger, epidemics, and poverty? According to Bill Gates, it takes R&D, software, and plenty of money."
- ↑ Doughton, Sandi; Kristi Heim (2011-02-19). "Does Gates funding of media taint objectivity?". The Seattle Times. http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2014280379_gatesmedia.html. Retrieved 2011-02-22. "Better-known for its battles against global disease, the Gates Foundation has also become a force in journalism. The foundation's contributions to nonprofit and for-profit media have helped spur coverage of global health, development and education issues. But some people worry that its growing support of media organizations blurs the line between journalism and advocacy."
- ↑ MUKUNDU, RASHWEAT (2012-10-01). "Zimbabwe: Will Circumcision Change Behaviour or Reinforce Machismo?". All Africa. http://allafrica.com/stories/201210011022.html. Retrieved 2012-10-02. "As a government policy, it appears circumcision is reluctantly promoted by some MPs because other health-related and donor-funded initiatives are tied to this programme."
- ↑ "Circumcision does not affect HIV in U.S. men". MSNBC. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22096758/#.UGuqPZjR7Sh. Retrieved 2012-10-02. "Text: We're sorry. The text content of this page is no longer available. Discuss: Circumcision does not affect HIV in U.S. men 4 total comments Removing foreskin no protection for American men of color, study finds"
- ↑ Archive (2012-10-02): http://www.circleaks.org/index.php?title=File:MSNBC.PDF
- ↑ Fox, Maggie (2009-12-04). "Circumcision does not affect HIV in U.S. men". MSNBC. http://www.reuters.com/article/2007/12/04/us-aids-circumcision-idUSN0345545120071204. Retrieved 2012-10-02. "Black and Latino men were just as likely to become infected with the AIDS virus whether they were circumcised or not, Greg Millett of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found. "We also found no protective benefit for a subset of black MSM (men who have sex with men) who also had recent sex with female partners," Millett told reporters in a telephone briefing."
- ↑ "Scientists discover natural barrier to HIV". MSNBC. http://healthyliving.msn.com/?cp-documentid=100157237#scpti2. Retrieved 2012-10-02.
- ↑ Archive (2012-10-02): http://www.circleaks.org/index.php?title=File:Langerin.pdf
- ↑ Mundell, E. J. (2007-03-05). "Scientists discover natural barrier to HIV". Washington Post. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/03/05/AR2007030500357.html. Retrieved 2012-10-02. "Researchers have discovered that cells in the mucosal lining of human genitalia produce a protein that "eats up" invading HIV -- possibly keeping the spread of the AIDS more contained than it might otherwise be. Even more important, enhancing the activity of this protein, called Langerin, could be a potent new way to curtail the transmission of the virus that causes AIDS, the Dutch scientists added."
- ↑ Kawamura, T.; Kurtz, SE.; Blauvelt, A.; Shimada, S. (Dec 2005). "The role of Langerhans cells in the sexual transmission of HIV.". J Dermatol Sci 40 (3): 147-55. doi:10.1016/j.jdermsci.2005.08.009. PMID 16226431.
- ↑ de Witte, L.; Nabatov, A.; Pion, M.; Fluitsma, D.; de Jong, MA.; de Gruijl, T.; Piguet, V.; van Kooyk, Y. et al. (Mar 2007). "Langerin is a natural barrier to HIV-1 transmission by Langerhans cells.". Nat Med 13 (3): 367-71. doi:10.1038/nm1541. PMID 17334373.
- ↑ "Holy Water Healing". Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. http://www.gatesfoundation.org/videos/Pages/default.aspx#video=/livingproofproject/Pages/holy-water-healing.aspx&pager=0&filter=&autostart=true. Retrieved 2011-03-24. "Can science and faith work together to fight HIV and tuberculosis?"
- ↑ "Crying Baby Symphony". Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. http://www.gatesfoundation.org/videos/Pages/default.aspx#video=/vaccines/Pages/crying-baby-symphony.aspx&pager=0&filter=&autostart=true. Retrieved 2011-06-27.